Georgia Tech 74, Alcorn State 50
Dec. 18, 2016
- Georgia Tech starting lineup: Okogie, Stephens, Lammers, Moore, Heyward (fifth game with this lineup)
- First subs for Georgia Tech: Gueye, Heath, Jackson for Heyward, Lammers and Moore, 14:01 first half
- On the floor for Georgia Tech at the end: Harris, Medlock, Ogdonda, Price, Rowland
- Opening tap won by Georgia Tech. Georgia Tech has won the opening tap in six of nine games this season.
- Series record vs. Alcorn State: Georgia Tech is 3-0 overall, 3-0 at home, 1-0 at McCamish Pavilion, 1-0 under Josh Pastner, 1-0 vs. Montez Robinson
- Current series streak: Georgia Tech has won the last three meetings
- Georgia Tech is 5-1 at McCamish Pavilion this season, 48-27 in its fifth season in the building, 5-1 under Josh Pastner
- Georgia Tech’s next game: December 20, 2016, vs. Georgia, 7 p.m., McCamish Pavilion, Atlanta, Ga. [ESPNU]
- Georgia Tech has started the lineup of Lammers, Stephens, Moore, Heyward and Okogie in five of nine games this season.
- Tech’s 24-point margin of victory was its highest of the season, surpassing the 15-point wins the Yellow Jackets scored against Tennessee Tech and Southern in the season’s first two games.
- The 50 points Tech allowed to Alcorn State were a season low, surpassing the 55 surrendered to the Tennessee Tech in the season opener.
- Tech led at the half (39-22) for the seventh time in nine games, and improved to 6-1 when leading at the half.
- Tech didn’t sink its first three-point basket until Tadric Jackson drained one with four seconds left in the first half. The Yellow Jackets connected on 2-for-11 shots from three-point range for the game and are 29-for-72 (40.3 percent) from long distance in their last five games, 36.4 percent for the season.
- Tech used all 14 available players players in the game, nine played double-digits minutes, including three off the bench. Freshman walk-ons Norman Harris and Shaheed Medlock saw their first action of the season. Christian Matthews didn’t dress due to an illness.
- Four Yellow Jackets reached double figures in scoring, the fourth time this season Tech has placed four or more players in double digits. The Jackets are 3-1 in those games. Ten players scored altogether.
- Tech led the game for 39:40, from its opening basket, and never trailed.
- Tech held Alcorn State to 31.4 percent shooting from the floor, the lowest by a Tech opponent this season. The jackets have limited three foes under 40 percent this season, six under 41.2.
- Tech assisted on 18 of its 26 made field goals (69.2 percent), well above its stated goal (60 percent), and stands at 57.8 percent for the season.
- Tech out-rebounded Alcorn State, 46-31, its biggest margin on the boards this season, and has out-rebounded its opponent six times in nine games. Tech is 4-2 this season when winning the boards.
- Tech went 20-of-27 from the free throw line, making more free throws than its opponent for the fourth time this season. For the season, Tech has made 140 free throws, while its opponents have attempted 154.
- Tech has hit 61.8 percent of its free throws in its wins, 76.1 percent in its losses. However, the Jackets have outscored their opponents 17.5-10.5 points per game from the line in their six wins, and has been outscored 12.3-11.7 per game in three losses.
- Tech’s committed 14 turnovers, and Alcorn State scored 18 points from those. Tech has surrendered 113 points off 85 turnovers in its last five games.
- Tech blocked six shots (Ben Lammers had just one of them), and is averaging 7.5 blocks for the season. Tech came into the game ranked second nationally in blocks per game
- Tech matched its season-high of 10 steals and forced 21 turnovers for the second straight game.
- Ben Lammers posted his sixth double-double of the season (second most in the ACC), reaching 10 rebounds with four and a half minutes to go in the first half and getting into double figures in points early in the second half. He finished the game with 12 points and 13 rebounds, hitting 5-of-7 from the floor, in a season-low 20 minutes.
- Lammers is averaging an ACC-best 11.0 rebounds per game, and also is No. 2 in the conference in offensive rebounds (4.7 per game) after corralling six on the offensive glass against Alcorn State. He also ranks fifth in the ACC in field goal percentage (60 percent).
- Quinton Stephens scored in double figures (11 points) for the eighth time in nine games, hitting 5-of-10 shots from the floor in a season-low 24 minutes. He also grabbed eight rebounds and added three assists, one block and three steals.
- Josh Okogie returned to double figures in the scoring column after scoring just three points at VCU. He scored 10 in the first half and finished the game with a team-high 14. He has reached double figures seven times in nine games. True to form, he went to the line for eight free throws (and made all eight) to improve his season rate to 72.4 percent. At his current rate, he will shoot 206 free throws this year (Tech record is 205).
- Abdoulaye Gueye scored baskets on Tech’s first two possessions after he entered the game at 14:01 of the first half, matching his career high of four points set in the season opener against Tennessee Tech. He also had two assists and two blocks in a four-minute stint. He added a free throw in the second half and finished with five points and six rebounds, and his 18 minutes were his most since the Ohio game.
- Tadric Jackson reached double figures for the fifth time in eight games, finishing with 14, matching the team high. He went turnover-less for the second straight game (51 minutes).
- Justin Moore finished the game with seven assists, one shy of his season high (8 vs. Ohio), and added five points and four rebounds with just two turnovers in 28 minutes.
- Lammers blocked just one shot, giving him 38 in nine games (4.2 per game). He came into the game also leading the nation in blocks per game.
- Sylvester Ogbonda put together his best game of the year, with season highs of five points and four rebounds in nine minutes off the bench.