Georgia Tech Tops North Florida In Men's Tennis, 6-1
Feb. 16, 2013
THE FLATS - Georgia Tech clinched a victory early, then battled North Florida for a four-hour, 6-1 victory in men's tennis here Saturday at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex.
The Yellow Jackets improved to 3-4, while the Ospreys of the Atlantic Sun Conference fell to 2-5.
Georgia Tech managed to win the doubles point, despite a loss by its third-ranked doubles duo of Juan Spir and Vikram Hundal, who lost 8-7 (9-7) to unranked Moritz Buerchner and Norbert Nemcsek. Spir and Hudal, a legitimate contender for ACC and NCAA titles this spring, dropped their first doubles match of 2013, falling to 8-1.
Spir made up for his surprising doubles loss by beating Buerchner at No. 1 singles, 7-5, 6-2. Spir improved his singles record to 4-5 this spring, 1-4 at the No. 1 position.
At No. 5 singles, Segura made quick work of Nahar, 6-2, 6-3, to give Georgia Tech a 3-0 lead.
Melian clinched the Tech victory with a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Daniel Sotomarino at No. 2 singles. Melian improved to 5-3 on the season.
With the team victory secured, the Yellow Jackets and Ospreys \continued to play for two and a half hours.
Other singles results: Hunal defeated Nemcsek at No. 3 singles, 6-4, 5-7, 6-3; North Florida's Julien Belair knocked off Tech's Nathan Rakitt, 7-6, 2-6, 6-4; and
Georgia Tech hosts Mercer at 6 p.m. today.
#65 Georgia Tech 6, #62 North Florida 1
1. Juan Spir (GT) def. Moritz Buerchner (UNF) 7-5, 6-2
2. #32 Juan Melian (GT) def. Daniel Sotomarino (UNF) 6-4, 6-3
3. Vikram Hundal (GT) def. Norbert Nemcsek (UNF) 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
4. Julien Belair (UNF) def. Nathan Rakitt (GT) 7-6, 2-6, 6-4
5. Eduardo Segura (GT) def. Leonardo Nahar (UNF) 6-2, 6-3
6. Anish Sharma (GT) def. Timo Kranz (UNF) 5-7, 6-3, 6-3
1. Moritz Buerchner/Norbert Nemcsek (UNF) def. #3 Juan Spir/Vikram Hundal (GT) 8-7 (9-7)
2. Juan Melian/Nathan Rakitt (GT) def. Julien Belair/Daniel Sotomarino (UNF) 8-1
3. Eduardo Segura/Colin Edwards (GT) def. Leonardo Nahar/Timo Kranz (UNF) 8-6
Match Notes: North Florida 2-4; National ranking #62 Georgia Tech 2-4; National ranking #65 Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,5,2,3,4,6) Match played indoors