Men's Tennis Drops 4-2 Decision To Maryland At ACC Championship
Juan Spir and Juan Melian each earned a singles victory for the Yellow Jackets
April 19, 2012
CARY, N.C. - After falling in the doubles point, the Georgia Tech men's tennis team couldn't gain enough momentum to overcome the early deficit dropping a 4-2 decision to Maryland in the first round of the ACC Championship Thursday at the Cary Tennis Center.
Maryland got the early lead, picking up the doubles points after wins at on courts one and two. Tech's No. 1 pair of Vikram Hundal and Sebastian Lopez dropped a 9-7 match to 33rd ranked John Collins and Maros Horny while Juan Spir and Juan Melian fell at No. 2 doubles to Tommy Laine and Vlad Stefan, 8-6. The No. 3 doubles game featuring Eduardo Segura and Dusan Miljevic was called after action finished on courts 1 and 2.
Maryland jumped out to a two-point advantage as Segura fell 3-6, 4-6 to Laine on court six, but Tech got its first point of the day with a No. 1 singles victory by Spir. Spir, ranked 60th in the country, downed his opponent Horny, 7-6, 7-6 for the victory.
Tech evened things up at two-all as Melian notched a 7-6, 6-3 victory over his opponent Sergio Wyss at No. 3 singles, but two quick victories by Maryland on courts four and five marked the end to Tech's ACC Tournament play.
Collins took home the 6-4, 6-2 win for Maryland over Sebastian Lopez at No. 5 singles followed immediately by a 6-4, 4-6, 6-1 victory for Terrapin Jesse Kiuru on court four to seal the win for Maryland who will face No. 1 seed Virginia on Friday.
The Yellow Jackets now await the announcement of the NCAA tournament field. The team announcement will be made on May 1 followed by the individual selection on May 2. The NCAA Championships will run from May 18-28 concluding at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex in Athens, Ga.
Tennis Match Results
Maryland vs Georgia Tech
Apr 19, 2012 at Cary, N.C.
#70 Maryland 4, #60 Georgia Tech 2
1. #60 Juan Spir (GT) def. Maros Horny (MD) 7-6, 7-6
2. #88 Vlad Stefan (MD) vs. Dusan Miljevic (GT) 6-2, 3-6, 4-3 (unfinished)
3. Juan Melian (GT) def. Sergio Wyss (MD) 7-6, 6-3
4. Jesse Kiuru (MD) def. Vikram Hundal (GT) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
5. John Collins (MD) def. Sebastian Lopez (GT) 6-4, 6-2
6. Tommy Laine (MD) def. Eduardo Segura (GT) 6-3, 6-4
1. #23 John Collins/Maros Horny (MD) def. Vikram Hundal/Sebastian Lopez (GT) 9-7
2. Tommy Laine/Vlad Stefan (MD) def. Juan Spir/Juan Melian (GT) 8-6
3. Andy Magee/Jesse Kiuru (MD) vs. Eduardo Segura/Dusan Miljevic (GT) 8-7 (unfinished
Maryland 8-14, 4-7 ACC; National ranking #70
Georgia Tech 9-12, 4-7 ACC; National ranking #60
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (6,1,3,5,4)