Georgia Tech Women's Basketball
Jacket 2 Jacket Reading Program
The response and participation from Metro Atlanta schools for the Jacket 2 Jacket Reading Program has been tremendous. Jacket 2 Jacket is an initiative created by the Georgia Tech Women’s Basketball team, in partnership with the Atlanta Dream, to promote and encourage children to learn through reading. This program originated early during Coach Joseph’s tenure, as she is very connected in the Atlanta community and wanted to use her platform to encourage reading in Metro Atlanta Schools.
Last year, 34 schools participated in the Georgia Tech women’s basketball Jacket to Jacket reading program and, collectively, these students read more than 2 million pages!
The longstanding program was refreshed in 2015 thanks to a program sponsorship from Georgia United Credit Union! Additionally, we are ecstatic that the Atlanta Dream will be partnering with us again this year. We are excited for the new prizes and incentives that will surround the program!
A snapshot of the program is listed below:
- A competitive reading program for elementary & middle school aged children in the Atlanta area.
- Participation stems from Fulton, Cobb, Gwinnett, DeKalb and Atlanta Public school systems.
- Each school has a Program Coordinator that volunteers to implement the program at their school.
- Students have one month to read as many pages as they can (a parent or teacher must sign off on all pages recorded.)
- Program Coordinators then turn the final numbers in to Catherine Greene, who then calculates the winners in each division.
- Winners are recognized at a non-conference game in December and all participants are invited to attend.
The Georgia Tech Women's Basketball team would like to invite your child and their school to participate in the annual "Jacket 2 Jacket" reading program. Jacket 2 Jacket is an initiative to promote and encourage children to alearn through reading. It will be held in conjunction with the start of the Women's Basketball season. The longstanding program has been refreshed for this year thanks to a program sponsorship from Georgia United Credit Union! We are excited for the new prizes and incentives that will surround the program this year! The following is an overview of the program:
Elementary and Middle Schools (Students and Classrooms from K - 8th grade) in Metro Atlanta. Jacket 2 Jacket School Coordinator must register their school to be eligible for participation. Once they are registered they will receive a J2J Packet to distribute to students, parents and teachers.
-Each student will record the number of pages read daily from October 1 to October 31, 2017, with the parent or guardian initialing the reading sheet provided. Pages read to the student by a parent or guardian may also be included. Students can read books or newspapers (one full newspaper page counts as two reading program pages). Please total the number of pages read on the reading sheet that will be provided.
-The name of the book is requested to provide information to the teacher as to the type of books the children are reading.
- Students must return their reading sheets to the classroom teacher no later than November 2, 2017.
Students participating in the program are eligible for several prizes, including a plaque, bookstore gift certificate, free admission to a Georgia Tech Women's Basketball game and recognition at halftime of the Women's Basketball game on December 10, 2017. Every student who participates in the program will gain free admission to the Georgia Tech vs. UT-Arlington game on December 10. In addition, the top classes with the most pages read will receive a visit from the Georgia Tech Women's Basketball team in the Spring Semester. Prizes will be awarded for the following categories:
- Highest School Total (Elementary and Middle School)
- Highest Class Total from Each Grade
- Highest Individual Total (Elementary and Middle School)
- Highest Individual from Each Grade
- All Participants (in seat recognition)
To download the full Jacket 2 Jacket program packet for parents:
Jacket 2 Jacket Parent Packet 2017-2018