Jackets Fall at No. 17 Miami, 75-70
Georgia Tech women's basketball closed out the regular season on Sunday
MIAMI, Fla. -- Georgia Tech led at the start of the fourth quarter, but No. 17 Miami used a strong final 10 minutes to overcome the Jackets and take a 75-70 victory Sunday afternoon to close out regular season play. Francesca Pan led the Jackets offensively with 21 points.
How It Happened
Miami opened an eight-point lead by the 4:27 mark of the first quarter following an Adrienne Motley triple, but a determined Tech team battled back, holding the Hurricanes scoreless over nearly two minutes to come within three points. Miami closed the first quarter with a 10-0 run to lead 26-14 at the first intermission. The Hurricanes held a double-digit lead for the majority of the second quarter, but the home squad was scoreless over the final 2:16 of play in the half. The Jackets used a 5-0 spurt to end the frame and setup a 40-34 halftime score. Tech led on the boards at the break, 26-17, but Miami shot 47.2 percent for the half compared to Tech's 34.3 percent effort.
Miami opened the third frame pushing its lead to eight, but Tech posted a 9-2 run to follow, cutting the score to 44-43 with 6:50 to go. The Jackets took the lead on a Francesca Pan jumper at the 5:41 mark, 47-46, as the teams traded the score over the next four minutes before Pan hit a jumper to end the frame with Tech leading 55-53. A 6-0 run to start the fourth quarter reversed the lead back to Miami as the Hurricanes outscored the Jackets 22-15 in the final frame to claim the win. Miami extended its lead to nine in the final 10 minutes, but the Jackets put together a late rally, drawing the score to three as Pan drained a triple from the far side for a 70-73 game. The Hurricanes finished the game with a pair of free throws from Jessica Thomas for the final score.
* Georgia Tech closed out the regular season at 16-13 overall and 5-11 in ACC play
* Francesca Pan notched her fifth 20-plus point game of the season, finishing with 21 points to lead the Jackets
* Kaylan Pugh added 15 points to the scoreboard
* Tech outrebounded Miami 48-32 led by Zaire O'Neil with nine rebounds
* Securing 24 offensive rebounds, Tech converted the boards into 23 second chance points
* The Jackets finished 14-of-21 from the free throw line to Miami's 17-of-21 effort
* Miami shot 44.3 percent (27-61) from the field for the game compared to Tech's 36.2 percent (25-69) effort
Georgia Tech will head to Conway, S.C. for the 2017 ACC Tournament, March 1-5.
For the latest information on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, follow us on Twitter (@GTWBB), Instagram (GTWBB), Facebook (Georgia Tech Women's Basketball) or visit us at www.ramblinwreck.com.