Jackets Open Homestand Welcoming Virginia Tech Sunday
Georgia Tech women's basketball faces Virginia Tech at 2 p.m. Sunday on ACC Network Extra
Georgia Tech Game Notes | Virginia Tech Game Notes
Radio: WREK 91.1
TV: ACC Network Extra
THE FLATS -- The Georgia Tech women's basketball team opens a two-game homestand on Sunday, welcoming Virginia Tech at 2 p.m. on ACC Network Extra.
THE STARTING FIVE...
1. Georgia Tech returns home for a pair of games after playing four of the past five on the road. Tech welcomes Virginia Tech to Atlanta for just the sixth time in program history. Fans can also listen live on WREK 91.1/WREK.org or watch on ACC Network Extra.
2. Georgia Tech leads the all-time series 9-5 and has taken three straight over the Hokies and nine of the past 10. After opening the all-time series back in 2003 dropping the first four meetings, the Yellow Jackets have dominated the Hokies since.
3. Tech erased a 22-point deficit at Virginia to force overtime, but it wasn't enough, dropping a one-point decision to the Cavaliers. The Jackets look to snap a five-game skid.
4. Zaire O'Neil led the Jackets in Charlottesville, recording her first double-double of the season behind 24 points and a career-high 14 rebounds. O'Neil has scored in double-figures now in the past four games and six of the past seven.
5. Head coach MaChelle Joseph is in her 14th season on The Flats and carries an all-time career record of 265-171. Joseph is the all-time winningest coach in program history and holds the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 61.4 percent.
A WIN WOULD...
-Move Georgia Tech to 14-9 on the season and push its home record to 9-4
-Mark the fourth straight win over the Hokies and 10th in the last 11 meetings
-Move the all-time series record to 10-5 in favor of the Yellow Jackets
-Snap a five-game skid and give the Jackets their third ACC win this season
-Mark Coach Joseph's 266th career win at Georgia Tech and give Georgia Tech its 641st all-time program win
LAST TIME THEY MET
Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech met last season in Blacksburg on Feb. 4. The Jackets took the decision 51-34 with two people scoring in double-figures including returning senior Katarina Vuckovic who led the team with 15 points. Tech won the rebounding battle 36-32 and hit 10-of-15 free throws while shooting 37.3 percent from the field. The Jackets utilized 18 Hokie turnovers, converting the miscues into 21 points. Virginia Tech was held to at 25.5 percent shooting clip for the game and a 21.1 percent (4-19) effort from three-point range.
LAST TIME OUT
Georgia Tech erased a 22-point deficit holding Virginia to 15 second half points and forced overtime, but it was not enough as the Jackets dropped their fifth game in a row in overtime. Zaire O'Neil posted her first double-double of the season behind 24 points and 14 rebounds, matching her career-high in scoring and setting a personal-best in rebounding. Tech shot 50.0 percent in the second half and held the Cavaliers to less points in second half than they scored in the first quarter. Katarina Vuckovic drained a three-pointer late in overtime to give the Jackets their only lead of the game, but a 6-of-11 effort at the charity stripe, including missing two to end the game, sealed the loss.