Jackets Set for WNIT Championship Saturday Against Michigan
Georgia Tech women's basketball will compete for the WNIT title Saturday at 3 p.m. on CBS Sports Network
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (22-14) vs. Michigan Wolverines (27-9)
TV: CBS Sports Network
Georgia Tech Game Notes | Michigan Game Notes
Radio: WREK 91.1
THE FLATS -- Georgia Tech will face Michigan on Saturday in the WNIT championship game at 3 p.m. in Calihan Hall on the campus of Detroit Mercy.
THE STARTING FIVE...
1. Georgia Tech advanced to the WNIT finals to face Michigan in another ACC/Big Ten showcase on Saturday at 3 p.m. Fans can listen live on WREK 91.1/WREK.org. The game will also be televised on CBS Sports Network.
2. The Yellow Jackets and Wolverines faceoff for the second time this season, having first met in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge on Dec. 1 in McCamish Pavilion.
3. This is Tech's seventh overall appearance in the WNIT and third-straight. Last season, the Jackets reached the second round of the WNIT after defeating Mercer in the first round. Tech fell to Tulane in round two. Tech's appearance this season in the championship game marks the first time the Jackets have reached the final two since the inception of the WNIT in 1998. Tech won the NWIT in 1992.
4. In Tech's WNIT postseason play, ACC Freshman of the Year Francesca Pan has led the Jackets averaging 14.4 ppg and has scored in double-figures in four of the five games.
5. Head coach MaChelle Joseph is in her 14th season on The Flats and carries an all-time career record of 274-176. Joseph is the all-time winningest coach in program history and holds the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 61.4 percent.
A WIN WOULD...
-Move Georgia Tech to 23-14 overall on the season
-Claim the first WNIT Championship since the inception of the tournament in 1998. Tech won the NWIT in 1992.
-Even the all-time series against Michigan to 1-1
-Mark Coach Joseph's 275th career win at Georgia Tech and give Georgia Tech its 649th all-time program win
LAST TIME THEY MET
Georgia Tech dropped its first contest of the 2016-17 season, falling to Michigan in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge in McCamish Pavilion on Dec. 1. Tech was limited to a 29.3 percent shooting efficiency as two Yellow Jackets registered double-figures led by Imani Tilford with 15 points. Michigan shot 50.0 percent from the field and 74.1 percent from the free throw line, going 20-of-27 at the charity stripe. The Wolverines won the rebounding battle, 44-38, marking the fourth time this season Tech has been outrebounded. Michigan outscored Georgia Tech in the paint, 50-22.
LAST TIME OUT
Georgia Tech sealed a spot in the WNIT Championship game with a 69-61 victory over Washington State on Wednesday night in the first-ever meeting between the schools. Both Elo Edeferioka and Zaire O'Neil posted double-doubles in the contest, eaching recording career-highs of 16 rebounds. O'Neil led the Jackets offensively with 20 points, while Edeferioka chipped in 11 points. Francesca Pan contributed 14 points in the win and Imani Tilford added 12 points. Tech dominated on the glass, 50-35, and in the paint, 40-20, to offset a 12-for-26 performance at the free throw line. The Jackets outscored the Cougars 20-7 in the fourth quarter, holding WSU to a 17.6 percent shooting clip to seal the win.
TECH IN THE WNIT
Georgia Tech is making its seventh overall appearance in the WNIT and third-straight. Through the seven appearances in the postseason tournament (including 2017), the Jackets have posted a 12-5 record, including advancing to the second round three straight seasons. In 1992, Tech won the NWIT at the Cal Farley Coliseum in Amarillo, Texas. The berth also marks the 10th postseason appearance in 11 years for Tech.