@GTWBB Hosts Alabama State Tuesday at 5 pm
The Yellow Jackets and Hornets face off for the third-straight season Tuesday at 5 p.m.
Georgia Tech returns to McCamish Pavilion to host Alabama State on Tuesday at 5 p.m. Fans are encouraged to bring toys to donate to the Jackets’ Toy Drive. The game can be heard on WREK 91.1/WREK.org.
- Georgia Tech returns to McCamish Pavilion to host Alabama State on Tuesday at 5 p.m. Fans are encouraged to bring toys to donate to the Jackets’ Toy Drive. The game can be heard on WREK 91.1/WREK.org.
- Georgia Tech holds a 4-0 series lead against the Hornets and have faced Alabama State each of the past two years.
- Senior Aaliyah Whiteside is averaging a team-best 21.3 points per game which ranks third in the ACC. She became the 29th Yellow Jacket to score 1,000 career points agaisnt Southeastern Louisiana. She has scored at least 21 points in every game so far this season.
- The Jackets are averaging an ACC-best 85.2 points per game. The Jackets are also owning the rebounding battle, tallying a league-high +14.5 rebounding margin, which ranks 24th in the NCAA. Tech has outrebounded all of its opponents besides one this season.
- Head coach MaChelle Joseph became the all-time winningest coach in Georgia Tech women’s basketball history last year and has a career record of 235-150 and the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 61.0 percent. She is currently in her 13th season at the helm of the Jackets.
a win would...
- Keep the Yellow Jackets undefeated at home this season at 4-0
- Be the fifth straight win against Alabama State and give the Jackets a 5-0 series advantage.
- Give head coach MaChelle Joseph a 5-0 record against Alabama State.
- Be the 236th win of Coach Joseph’s career and her 385th game at the helm of the Jackets putting her just 16 games away from hitting the 400 mark.
- Give Georgia Tech its 611th program win and put Georgia Tech at 611-576 overall over 41 years of women’s basketball.
Junior Katarina Vuckovic has had quite the transformation from her sophomore to junior seasons. Vuckovic is averaging 14.0 points per game this season which is second on the Jackets and 21st in the ACC and is leading the Yellow Jackets in rebouding with 7.0 rebounds per game, which is 15th in the conference. She scored a career-high 20 points a Georgia and has scored in double figures in three of the past four games. During her first two seasons, she averaged 5.1 points per game and 3.7 rebounds per game.
what a week for whiteside
After being named the ACC Player of the Week for the first time in her career on Monday, Nov. 16, after averaging 21.5 ppg during the opening weekend, Whiteside became the 29th Yellow Jacket to score 1,000 career points on Wednesday, Nov.18. Her 21 points against Southeastern Louisiana were enough to put her in the 1,000 point club. She is averaging a team-best and ACC-high 21.3 points per game. Whiteside has scored at least 21 points in every game so far this season. She has scored 25 percent of Georgia Tech’s points through the first four games. She is the only ACC player to have four 20 point games so far this season. Whiteside is also averaging 6.5 rebounds per game and 3.0 assists per game. Her 21.3 points per game rank 33rd in the nation.
Seniors Roddreka Roger and Aaliyah Whiteside are approaching their 100th career games. Rogers has played in 99 games in her career, starting 80, and averaging 6.7 ppg and 7.4 rpg. Whiteside has played in 98 games in her career, starting 62 and averaging 10.4 points per game and 5.0 rebounds per game.
home court success
Including this season, the Yellow Jackets have gone 17-1 in nonconference home games. Georgia Tech went a perfect 7-0 in 2013 and was 7-1 in 2014. At 3-0 this season at home, Tech is averaging 91.7 points per game.
The Yellow Jackets’ 68 rebounds against Southeastern Louisiana ranks fifth on Tech’s single season list for most rebounds in a game. Georgia Tech has outrebounded every opponent besides one (Georgia) this season and holds a +14.5 rebounding margin which is first in the ACC and 24th in the NCAA. Junior Katarina Vuckovic leads the team in rebounding with 7.0 rebounds per game which is tied for 15th in the conference.
Against Southeastern Louisiana, Georgia Tech had two 20 point scorers in the game in Gari (24) and Whiteside (21). Gari scored a season-best 24 points, hitting three 3-pointers and going a perfect 11-for-11 from the free throw line. It was the Olivia, Spain, native’s first time leading the team in scoring.Whiteside scored 21 points for her third-straight game scoring at least 21 points. In the next game against Georgia, two Jackets also scored 20 points - Whiteside (21) and Vuckovic (20).
Whiteside is the only player in the ACC that has recorded four 20 point games so far this season. In every game this season, at least one player has scored at least 20 points.