No. 1 Georgia Tech Defeats Kentucky, 6-1
The Yellow Jackets improved to 7-1 on the season
Feb. 17, 2008
Christy Striplin and Noelle Hickey opened the match with an 8-0 doubles win and seniors Whitney McCray and Kristi Miller won in singles to lead No. 1 Georgia Tech (7-1) to a 6-1 win against No. 29 Kentucky (7-2) Sunday afternoon at the Bill Moore Tennis Center.
Striplin and Hickey improved to 14-5 on the season and 7-1 in dual matches with their sweep of Megan Broderick and Sarah Woestmann. Kristi Miller and Kirsten Flower finished next with an 8-2 win at No. 1 doubles over the 20th-ranked pair of Carolina Escamilla and Christine Johnston, giving Georgia Tech a 1-0 lead in the match. Whitney McCray and Sasha Krupina then finished off the doubles sweep with an 8-7 (7-5) tiebreaker victory in the No. 3 spot.
Tech extended its lead to 2-0 when Maya Johansson won in the No. 6 singles spot after Lauren Meier retired with an injury. No. 22 ranked McCray pushed the score to 3-0 with her victory and Miller clinched the victory with a 6-1, 7-5 win at No. 1 singles. Hickey closed the match with a 6-4, 6-4 win in the No. 5 singles spot.
"We were pleased to be able to play outside and get our first outdoor win of the season," head coach
Tech will be back in action next Saturday, February 23 when the 4th-ranked Georgia Bulldogs travel to
- RamblinWreck.com -
- RamblinWreck.com -
Tennis Match Results
Feb 17, 2008 at
1. #7 Kristi Miller (GT) def. #69 Sarah Woestmann (
2. #22 Whitney McCray (GT) def.
3. Megan Broderick (UK) def. #38 Christy Striplin (GT) 1-6, 6-3, (10-6 tiebreaker for third set)
4. Kirsten Flower (GT) def. Alaina Trgovich (UK) 6-2, 4-6, (10-4 tiebreaker for third set)
5. #56 Noelle Hickey (GT) def. Christine Johnston (
6. #6 Maya Johansson (GT) def. Lauren Meier (UK) 4-3, retired
1. Kristi Miller/Kirsten Flower (GT) def. #20
2. Noelle Hickey/Christy Striplin (GT) def. Sarah Woestmann/Megan Broderick (
3. Whitney McCray/Sasha Krupina (GT) def. Lauren Meier/Alaina Trgovich (
Georgia Tech 7-1; National ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,2,1,3,4,5)
T-3.5 hrs A-274