No. 21 Yellow Jackets Best No. 73 Terps, 5-2
Tech's top doubles team battles past 20th-ranked Maryland pair, 8-6
March 23, 2012
College Park, Md. - The 21st-ranked Georgia Tech women's tennis team (8-7, 2-2 ACC) claimed its third win in the last four matches downing No. 73 Maryland (6-8, 0-4 ACC), 5-2, Friday afternoon at the Cole Field House Tennis Courts in College Park, Md.
Senior Lynn Blau and Elizabeth Kilborn earned their 13th doubles win of the spring with an 8-3 win over the Terps' pair of Cristina Stancu and Vroni Van Berlo on court two. Tech's ninth-ranked side of Jillian O'Neill and Alex Anghelescu earned their sixth win over a nationally ranked opponent when they downed Maryland's 20th-ranked pair of Ana Belzunce and Welma Luus, 8-6, on court number one to clinch the doubles point.
Blau put Tech up 2-0 with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Hansbrough on court six. The Terps gained a point back when Belzunce upset the Yellow Jackets' 86th-ranked Kilborn 6-3, 6-2, on court two and tied the team score 2-2 after Van Berlo downed Ngo, 7-5, 6-3 on court three.
O'Neill, ranked No. 22, re-gained the Tech advantage as she battled past the 41st-ranked Stancu 2-6, 6-2, 6-2 on court one. It was O'Neill's sixth win over a nationally-ranked opponent this spring. Anghelescu clinched the Tech win with a 6-1, 3-6, 6-2 win on court five over Irazusta.
Freshman Jasmine Minor overcame a 7-5 first set loss to defeat Luus in three sets. The rookie from Mundelein, Ill., fought for a 7-6 (7) second set win and a 12-10 third set victory.
Georgia Tech will finish its five match, 10 day road trip tomorrow when it plays at No. 62 Boston College in a 5 p.m. contest.
Fans are encouraged to follow Georgia Tech women's tennis on Twitter, @GT_WTEN, and like the Yellow Jackets on Facebook, GTWomensTennis, for an inside look at the program.
#21 Georgia Tech at #73 Maryland
March 23, 2012
#21 Georgia Tech 5, #73 Maryland 2
Doubles (2, 1, 3)
1. #9 Jillian O'Neill / Alex Anghelescu (GT) def. #20 Ana Belzunce / Welma Luus (MD), 8-6
2. Lynn Blau / Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) def. Cristina Stancu / Vroni Van Berlo (MD), 8-3
3. Viet Ha Ngo / Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Jordan Hansbrough / Mikele Irazusta (MD), 8-7 (7-4)
Singles (6, 2, 3, 1, 5, 4)
1. #22 Jillian O'Neill (GT) beat #41 Cristina Stancu (MD), 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Ana Belzunce (MD) beat #86 Elizabeth Kilborn (GT), 6-3, 6-2
3. Vroni Van Berlo (MD) beat Viet Ha Ngo (GT), 7-5, 6-3
4. Jasmine Minor (GT) beat Welma Luus (MD), 7-5, 6-7(6), 1-0
5. Alex Anghelescu (GT) def. Mikele Irazusta (MD), 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
6. Lynn Blau (GT) def. Jordan Hansbrough (MD), 6-2, 6-3
Georgia Tech 8-7, 2-2 ACC, national ranking #21
Maryland 6-8, 0-4 ACC, national ranking #73
-- RamblinWreck.com --